Sunday, April 6, 2014

Kid's Desk

I made this desk today.  I used some awesome russian birch plywood I had been trying to find for a long time and I finally found at Crosscuts in Seattle.

I also tried a few new things in this project.  For example, I used a dado and rabbet joint as opposite to the simpler rabbet joint I have used for most other drawers.  I didn't like it that much, it's a bit harder to make because you need to be precise with the depth of the dado and I don't think it's any stronger than a normal rabbet joint.  As a matter of fact, because I also made a dado to fit the bottom of the drawer, it leaves a small square piece of wood at the intersection of both rabbets which is pretty odd.

I also used a router flush trim bit to trim the edges of the top, which i left a bit longer for this purpose.  That works really well.  I really like the look of the cross sections of this russian birch because they have so many layers.

I am finishing it with Danish oil and wipe on polyurethane, which is a type of finish I haven't tried before either.

This is how it looks like from the back.  I joined all the pieces with pine dowels and glue, no nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment