Sunday, December 7, 2014

California King Size Walnut Bed, Part 4

I assembled the bed in the room before I finished it.

First I clamped everything together:


I use these hardwood squares I made long ago that are super useful for this type of clamping:


These are the holes for the bolts that connect on the other side with barrel nuts.  I used a 3/4 inch forstner bit to make room for the nut head:


I cut the plugs with a plug cutter on the drill press:


And I cut them flush with a flush trim saw.



I installed the support boards which are made out of 2x6 lumber


These are joined with metal squares:

The pieces separating each board are made with plywood and glued to the rail:


This is how it all looked put together before finish:


I sanded everything with the orbital sander at 80, 150 and 220 grit, then used a finish of 2 parts tung oil, 1 part polyurethane and 1 part mineral spirits.  I gave it 3 coats in total and used steel wool in between.


And this is the finished bed:




No comments:

Post a Comment